Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Reinventing a Legend

There are very few movies, books, graphic novels, or people that could reinvent a legend on the scale of the Batman mythos, but that's just what Christopher Nolan, director of Batman Begins did. To say that Batman Begins was good is an understatment. That movie blew every expectation away for me. I'm a huge Batman fan and it delivered in so many ways that I almost cried in some parts. I'm going to go ahead and say that Batman Begins was more thrilling, entertaining, and emotional than Star Wars Episode III. Now, if someone had made that comment a day ago, I don't think I could have believed them, but since I'm making that comment, I'm going to have to believe it! I guess I was just expecting too much from Star Wars, and in a lot of ways it fulfilled my expectations, but I just wasn't very thrilled. I was only emotionally moved at the end of Episode III, but in Batman, there was only a few times when I wasn't on the verge of tears or laughing my ass off, and those were the times that my ass was being kicked by the unending action. Batman Begins did something that the other movies didn't do, they established more of a base for the character. Showing how everything got started was brilliant. The suit, the car, the cape, the cowl, the training, and finally the mind. All of that was explained in satisfying detail. There were a couple of things that buzzed on my mind, but they were not as bad as the dialogue in Star Wars. They could have used some sound editing in some parts, for those of you who haven't seen it, you'll know immediately when that problem comes up. As I said before, they reinvented the Dark Knight. He was still the one we all remember, dark, brooding, and cool, but Christopher Nolan went much deeper and added visible fear and hatred to the character. This worked well. There were a couple of plot holes from the original comics or graphic novels, but you'd probably have to be a Batman nerd like myself to recognize them. This movie was loosely based on the popular graphic novel, Batman: Year One. There were several key points that paralled the movie and the graphic novel, like the ending. I have a lot of Batman graphic novels if anyone wants to borrow them. Overall, I think Batman begins is my favorite superhero movie that I've ever seen. Yes I thought it was better than Spider-Man 2. I'm going to beg whatever god rules Hollywood for another one. Everyone should see this movie, and I have a feeling it will make a killing at the box office. That is my offical word on Batman Begins.

In other news, I am glad my blog brings smiles to peoples faces. I love doing that. It makes me feel very good. I also feel more connected to you all again. I think this is the best thing I could have done. For that I thank Rodney for encouraging me to make this thing. Well, I'm hungry so I'm going to get some lunch then start getting ready for work. I didn't actually have any crazy dreams or thoughts. I'm pretty sure I discussed one with Richard last night, but I don't remember what it was. Oh well, hope you all enjoy Batman when you get to see it. I know I sure as hell did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home