Saturday, February 24, 2007

Rain's Story

I wrote the end of one of Rain's adventures the other day. I hope you all like it.

My name is Rain. I’m a superhero. Well, at least that’s what I call myself. I’m more like a freak of nature with a grandeur complex. Oh well, it’s enough for me to risk my life for the sake of the world. My power? Well, it’s complicated, but the short story is that I can disappear in the rain. Hence my name. Not much of a power you might say, but just think of the stealth aspects of it. Very helpful when it actually rains! That might be a problem. Oh, did I mention it rains when I am in pain? Guess I didn’t mention that part. So, to use my power, I have to hurt myself or wait for it to rain. I choose the former. It’s more convenient. Although it doesn’t help my body, it’s covered with scars from my battles and experiments. Hey, I had to know how to maximize the release of my powers before I went around trying to save the world and defeat evil. So, I’m a masochistic superhero. I guess that’s a new one.
Let me tell you, after being a crime fighter for a year, I hardly ever have to inflict the pain on myself. Criminals take care of that one. Let’s take this gentleman for example: he’s currently kicking me in the gut. He’s been at it for a few minutes by now, so I’m guess there is a downpour outside. It doesn’t mean much. I’ve got to have more than just rain to take this locale out. Oh, didn’t I mention where I was? Sorry, my mistake. I’m in a floating missile rig/silo in the Mediterranean Sea. Why am I here? To save the world from a maniacal man whose plan is to attack America with a nuclear weapon and make it look like terrorists are responsible, thus triggering World War III! I never understand these doomsday guys; don’t they know they’ll die too? Whatever his though processes is; I’m here to stop him. It doesn’t help that I was captured 20 minutes into my assault on the rig. Now they’re torturing me and taunting me.
“What’s wrong Rain? Not able to disappear inside?” the henchmen asks.
“Nope, just don’t want to leave your wonderful company.” Sarcasm gets me no where with these individuals. It does earn me another swift kick in the gut.
“Well gentlemen, it’s been fun, but I have to stop your boss’s scheme. “
Using my legs, I pounce up to a standing position and head-butt the nearest goon. The other one comes at me with a knife which is perfect for cutting through my restraints. With my arms tied behind my back, I charge at the guy with the knife. After hurling myself at him and knocking the knife out of his hand, I fall on the knife and use it to cut the rope around my hands. Once they’re free I cut the ropes loose on my feet and I’m on my way. I knock out the remaining guards and run towards the bridge and into the rain.
Arriving at the bridge, there are a few guards but they are taken out easily now that I am invisible. It’s a wild sensation, being invisible. Every drop of rain takes a piece of me away in a cloud of smoke. It’s different. I make my way to the captain’s quarters. There he is, Damien Smith; rich entrepreneur and criminal mastermind. Talk about multitasking.
“You’re drying off Rain.” Smith taunts.
So I am. Well, that does mean that I loose my invisibility. Every hero has got to have a weakness.
“Call off the missiles Damien. There doesn’t have to be anymore destruction in this world than there is already.”
“I hope you don’t expect anything, I’ve already set the launch code and had it confirmed by my first officer…before I killed him. It takes both codes to abort the launch and I only know one of them. “
“You son of a bitch” I’m going to kill him. I’m going to do it.
Smith starts running out of the room and I’m in pursuit. Of course he has to run into another garrison of his thugs. How many do evil geniuses need? I run headlong into the first of them but catching them off there guard only lasts for a minute. I hop up to the upper deck and pound my left hand on the unforgiving metal. The pain throbs in my left hand and the drizzle begins. Moving quickly, I run at the thugs and begin my assault. The longer we fight, the less visible I become. Every punch in the face or graze with a knife, the harder it is for them to see me, and that is exactly what I want. Once the rain becomes harder, they all realize what they have done. I am completely invisible to them. All they see is water droplets moving at them and breaking there noses. Weapons are taken before they are able to be drawn, and then used against them. I have no time to care about these people’s lives. I kill them without mercy with there own weapons. I don’t have the luxury of sparing their lives; I have to save the rest of the world.
After finishing the last hired help, I follow Damien Smith. He wasn’t lying; he had actually armed the damn missiles. I run after Smith and realize that he is completely unstable. I know this because he’s got a gun and it’s pointed to his own head. I guess this guy knows he will die as well as everyone else.
“What are you doing Smith?”
“You’d have to be crazy to stick around during WWIII, my job is done. See you in hell Rain.”
The gun goes off and Smith goes down. No evil genius to take down and not much I can do for the nuclear warheads about to launch.
What do I do? How can my powers help this? Not even a little rain will put out a nuclear reactor. It would take a tsunami to…a tsunami? Could I create a storm that big? I hear the timer counting down as well as my hope decreases. I’ve got to do something.
Frantically I run around trying to think of something I can do to create a tsunami. I try cutting the palm of my hand and it starts a thunderstorm. Good start but not even close to a tsunami. I cut deeper and the pain shoots through my body like the missile I’m trying to stop. More rain, more thunder, and more lightening. Still not good enough. I find Smith’s gun, this had better work, and fire it at my foot. The bullet pierces the flesh and the bones, crushing them. I let out more than my fair share of curse words and screams. The storm created rocks the entire rig, but no toppling. This is as far as I’ve ever taken my power and it still was not enough. Waves lap over the sides and onto the deck. It washes some of the bodies away and forces me to retreat to a higher deck.
Lying down, breathing hard and in incredible pain, I realize I’ve failed. My power wasn’t enough to topple the rig or put out the reactor. What did I expect? I’m an amateur. I rest my head on a particularly hard set of pipes and it comes to me as the timer announces “T-Minus 30 seconds until launch” in its cold computer voice. Laboriously I pull myself up and pull my shirt off. I use it as a tourniquet around my left wrist. “T-Minus 15 seconds until launch” it wails again. I can hear the engines powering up. It is now or never. I pull my shirt tight on my wrist and place my hand in the middle of the pipes and gear joints. Using all of my leverage and what’s left of my body strength and will, I pull my makeshift lever through the gears and start to push. The bones crack and the blood flows and finally my left hand comes off of my left arm. The pain is so intense and magnificent that I begin to pass out. My eyes hold on long enough to see a rising tide enveloping the entire rig. That’s all I can do. I fade into oblivion and hope it’s enough...

I hope you all enjoyed it. I know it was a bit long.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Greene (and His Orchestra) said...

Let me just say, Da-amn. That's some crazy stuff...a little work, and I think you've got something there.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home