Friday, February 23, 2007

Credit card sodas and abnormal psychology

Most of you that know me, know that I do not like carrying cash. I never have and probably never will. The main problem with this dislike is that I usually don't have any way to purchase drinks or snaks at school. I've had this problem since middle school and it has never gotten any better. I usually borrowed money from Richard (which I probably still owe him) and then ate out of the vending machines that way. Well, today everything changed. At my school, in the Liberal Arts building, they put credit card machines on the vending machines! I was in so much awe that I had to buy something. It wouldn't have mattered if I only had one dollar to my name, the draw was that great. You might not understand, but I had to. It's like one of my dreams come true. Now, you might say, "That's a pretty silly dream" but you have to see it from my perspective.

I've thought of having those on vending machines since I got my first check car. It's been almost 6 years since that happened and I've wished for it ever since. Now that it is there, it's like something out of a fairy tale. It literally jumped out of my mind. So that's why I am so excited about this thing.

Oh, and I bought a Vault. In case anyone cared to know. I bet you all knew that anyway.

So, we did an experiment in Abnormal Psychology. I'll let my notes do the talking:

Thematic Apperception Test (TAT): a series of pictures and you ask your client to tell a story about each one. This is a test of creativity. What are the events leading up to the scene? What are the characters feeling, thinking? What is the resolution to the story? Depending upon the client, there are 6 or 7 cards depending upon gender and then a couple more cards depending upon what is going on with the client. You choose the cards based on their issues. When scoring these, we are looking for themes in the stories.

So, after that brief definition was given, three cards were then shown. The first card had a boy with a violin, the second a person laying in an odd position, and the third card was completely blank. Here are my short stories on the cards:

Three separate cards, three separate stories.

Card 1:
“Now, try the lesson one more time and you can have lunch” said the instructor as she left.
My god I am hungry the boy thought. All he had to do was finish the lesson and it would be time for lunch. The boy was so hungry he felt that his stomach was going to eat other internal organs unless he got some food.
The boy was not a skilled violin player like his father, but he wanted to be. He really did. So he tried, even though he felt embarrassed about his lack of talent. He tried and tried, so he could eat. That was it.
Now, staring down the barrel of that violin, he gave up. Put it down and cried. He would not eat lunch today, or ever. The boy felt sad until someone came in the room. It was his mother.
“Stop practicing and get some food boy” his mother said.
It sounded like an angel’s voice.
Then the boy ate a good lunch.

Card 2:
Working 7 days a week is tough; especially when you live in the depression era and especially when you are a woman. Helen worked as hard as she could for her family. She worked and worked and worked every day of the week and for as long as she could remember. Her husband Brad worked as well. He drove trucks and she cared for the sick. It was all they knew and all they could do. This evening, Helen could work no longer. She just got out of the ER after a 14 hour shift and was ready to go home. She went home and felt so much relief. She was home and soon she would be asleep.
I’ve just got to do a couple of more things she thought. Clean, cook, sew, and bathe. Then it would be off to bed.
Her daughter and sons needed everything she had left to give. She taught Patricia how to compute fractions, told Joey to stop eating the fresh grain, and bathed Allen raw.
Helen just dropped down and slept in the living room. Brad came home later and picked Helen up and took her to her bed. She slept until she woke the next morning.

Card 3:
Darkness. Rain only saw darkness. The blindfold has been over his eyes for a couple of hours and his eyes adjusted to the darkness. He could see every corner of the cloth and he remembered what happened to him. He had been hit, and hit from behind. That’s all he could think of, being hit from behind. He could still feel the lump on the back of his head. They brought him somewhere and ripped the blindfold off.
Now I know why they call it a blindfold! Rain thought.
Light flooded his vision and all he could see is white light.
Whenever his eyes adjusted, someone is in trouble.

Interesting huh?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Greene (and His Orchestra) said...

Interesting, indeed. Kinda nice to see ol' Rain again.

Also, I can remember a number of times at school when you were wishing for credit card readers on the vending machines. Don't worry about the money though, I'm sure I'll mooch some food off of you sooner or later and make up for it. Anyway, I'm glad your dreams were finally realized!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you are a strange and wonderful boy.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home